- 2 lb salmon
- 3 limes
- 1 red onion
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp ground paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp light salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 oz fat free half & half
- 1/4 cup port wine
- 1/4 cup capers
- Large skillet
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Mix spices with brown sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Slice onions into 1/8 inch slices and set aside.
- Cut salmon into six pieces (may use other fresh fish).
- Squeeze limes over Salmon in a glass or plastic pan.
- Bring oil to medium-high heat in a large skillet.
- Heavily coat salmon with seasoning mixture. Pat it onto both sides.
- Place 1/2 of the fish into pan, skin side up.
- Allow to cook for five minutes.
- Flip fish so skin side is down, and cook for another five minutes.
- Remove fish from skillet and place aside.
- Add other salmon pieces to skillet skin side up and cook for five minutes.
- Flip fish so skins side is down, add sliced onions to pan, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove salmon and set aside.
- Stir wine and half and half into skillet with remaining pan drippings and onions.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered stirring occasionally till mixture reduces by 1/3.
- (Reduction is ready when it will coat the back of a spoon.)
- Drain and rinse capers.
- Place 1 tbsp capers over each serving of salmon.
- Place 1 tbsp of the reduced sauce with onions over the capers.
Nutrition per serving:
380 Calories, 3 g saturated fat (15%), 0g trans fat,
95 mg cholesterol (32%), 370 mg sodium (15%),
2g fiber (8%), 36g protein,
20% VitA, 20% Vit C, 6% Calcium, 10% Iron